Despite the many advancements of dental care in San Antonio and nationwide, over 2 million Americans live with tooth loss. Most of these cases are because of tooth decay, dental trauma, and gum disease or other health problems.
When you lose a tooth, it can be a very embarrassing or even crippling ordeal. Even if the tooth is a molar and remains unseen, you still need to resolve it. Once you lose a tooth, you lose jawbone beneath the surface and will eventually disintegrate.
A single missing tooth can impact all the teeth in your mouth. The other healthy teeth form the mouth’s structure and depend on each other for steadiness. Aside from the medical issues, tooth loss can really affect one’s self-esteem and have social consequences as well.
Dr. Alfonso Monarres, founder of Stone Ridge Dental, is the top dentist for dental implants in San Antonio. Dr. Monarres refuses to believe that anyone should have to suffer from tooth loss. No matter the cause, be it bad genes or condition like periodontal disease—no one should be subject to substandard alternatives.
Dental implants in san antonio
a better Solution for tooth loss
Dental implants in San Antonio are a better option for replacing teeth than traditional dentures. Dental implants anchor directly into the jawbone, offering a stable, permanent solution that functions exactly like a real tooth.
When a person loses a tooth, the root stops stimulating or stabilizing the jawbone, which leads to bone loss. Dental implants solve this problem using titanium posts that fuse with the bone to take the place of the root. This is why dental implants are a more natural option for tooth replacement in San Antonio.
anatomy of dental implants
This is what you can see of the implant. It looks, feels, and works like your own natural crown because of advances in implant technology.
Scientists in a lab make the crown’s core using advanced materials that have the same strength as real teeth. Dentists use their hand to add artistic touches that make them look exactly like natural teeth and gums. We are even able to duplicate the slight opaqueness of natural teeth.
An abutment is what permanently connects the crown to the post once it completely heals and has fused to the bone. The healing and fusion phase takes about 2-3 months on average barring any medical conditions that might slow that down.
To heal properly, patients must avoid smoking and drinking alcohol as they can hinder the body’s ability to heal.
The post is a threaded screw made of titanium that is safe for oral use. It replaces the root and supports the bone in absence of a natural root. Since the bone stimulates, it fuses with the post, creating a stable bond that lasts a long time.
inmediate implant reconstruction
Learning you need to have a tooth pulled can be traumatic, we completely understand your situation. The dentist usually provides you with a list of choices to replace the tooth until the extraction area heals.
Those options range from a denture to a cumbersome retainer. You have to live like that for 3-4 months before getting a dental implant. That is only the implant though, not the abutment and crown that completes the restoration.
The post needs four more months to heal before you can add the abutment and crown and return to normal.
the stone ridge difference
Now for the good news, Dr. Monarres is one of the most experienced surgeons for dental implants in San Antonio. He is also a leader in performing a revolutionary procedure known as immediate implant reconstruction. It’s a very successful treatment as noted in studies from the Mayo Clinic and other leading institutions.
This procedure takes place immediately following the extraction and includes the crown as well. It’s more streamlined than waiting almost a year to return to normal.
Is It Safe?
With over 2,000 successful procedures under Dr. Monarres, the answer is absolutely! Immediate implant reconstructions when performed properly are a very safe and preferred treatment. As with any medical procedure, there is an inherent potential for problems; but they are rare and easily resolved.
Dr. Monarres takes every precaution to ensure dental implants are right for you with a systematic review before going further. He goes through a checklist of potential issues to determine your risk level. If the risk is too great, he will recommend the next best solutions.
Proper post-operative routine and diet ensure a smooth healing process. Follow these guidelines for best results.
- No smoking— Smoking not only damages your overall health but can hinder the healing process.
- No excessive alcohol— Just like nicotine, excessive alcohol use can also make healing unbearably difficult and not good for oral health.
- Follow Doctor’s Orders— They are there for you to facilitate proper healing. Ignoring them could delay your recovery. Remember to brush your teeth and get regular dental checkups as part of your routine health care.
anatomy of dental implants
Besides the obvious quick turnaround of the procedure, this method has many other benefits as well:
- One surgery— No stitches, no delay, no suffering through months of discomfort or dry mouth.
- Preserves gum tissue— There’s less damage done to your gums with this procedure, and it fosters a faster recovery.
- Less painful— Because you’re doing everything at once under sedation there is less reaggravating tissue and bone. The traditional way lets you heal but then aggravates the area again, making it more painful for recovery.
- Improved appearance— Yes, dental implants feel and look like your own natural teeth, but they also provide stimulation for your jawbone. Once they fuse with your jawbone, they are permanent and there to stay.
- Improved speech—With dentures that don’t fit perfectly, they can slip within your mouth causing impaired speech. This can be very embarrassing in social settings, especially when meeting new people or clients. Dental implants offer you the freedom to speak without worrying about dentures slipping.
- Improved Comfort— Since dental implants become part of your body there is no foreign object feeling like dentures. Of course, at first, there will be some different sensations because you actually have teeth again.
- Easier To Eat— With dentures frequently struggling to say in place when eating certain foods, dental implants are a lifesaver.
- Boosts Self-Esteem— Implants often change a patient’s outlook on their future in a very personal and positive way.
- Better Oral Health— With implants you don’t have to damage your other teeth to accommodate them as with a bridge. You’ll have zero impact on your other teeth or your oral hygiene regimen.
- Durability— Implants are so durable and tough that they easily last the rest of your life with proper care.
- Convenient— Dentures are removeable by design, but often slip out by accident. Dental implants, however, are very convenient since they are permanent. They’re always there when you need them and need only routine oral care to last forever.
Change Your Life With All On Four Dental Implants
Implant surgery is a common procedure and very safe. However, it’s still a very serious medical decision and we want you to be well informed. You should be prepared to ask any questions you may have about the procedure.
We will never turn away any questions or concerns regarding dental implants. Helping you understand the procedure you’re considering helps us serve you better.
Typically, most patients are great candidates for implants in San Antonio. However, some patients are not a good candidate for various reasons. This is especially true with patients that have conditions that impede their ability to heal such as diabetes or rheumatoid arthritis.
After all, getting dental implants does require advanced oral surgery. Your gums must be able to heal from the procedure without issue.
Contact our office today to schedule an appointment for a free consultation for the best dental implants in San Antonio.